Caramel Butter Bars
The title just sounds delicious doesn’t it?!
Welcome back to:
This time, I am bringing you a mess of caramelly goodness.
Btw, how do you guys pronounce caramel? Is it car-mel? Or care-a-mel?
If you’re anything like me, it’s car-mel. Just like it’s pee-kahn (pecan).
Anyways. Onto the recipe.
Just going to say upfront this was a semi Pinterest Fail. Mostly a win. If I would have done just one thing differently, they would have turned out better.
4 sticks butter — at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbs vanilla
4 cups flour — I used All purpose
1 bag (14 oz) caramels — I used Kraft individually wrapped
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
Sea salt — optional
1. Preheat oven to 350* F.
2. In a large bowl, mix sugars and butter until creamy. Add vanilla (2 Tbs) and mix again.
3. Add flour to the mixture and mix until a soft dough forms.
4. Grease a 9×13 pan (I used wax paper as well), and press half of the dough into the bottom of the pan. (Set other half aside).
5. Bake for 20 minutes, then let cool on wire rack for 15 minutes.
6. While it’s cooling, unwrap all the caramels and place in a bowl to be microwaved. Add in the cream and then microwave for 1 minute. Take out of microwave and stir until creamy. Then add the vanilla (2 tsp) and stir again.
7. Pour the caramel filling over crust. If using salt, sprinkle on top of the caramel.
8. Take the rest of the dough and do your best to spread over the caramel. I took tiny rolled balls, and flattened them. Then I put them on top of the caramel.
9. Return to oven and bake for another 25-30 minutes.
10. Let cool for 1 hour, or until completely cool.
I found this recipe at Inspired Dreamer.
****Now. The fail that occurred? It did not cook long enough the first time, with just the dough. So I would recommend adding more time, if it still looks doughy.
- April 9, 2016
- 0 Comment