Hey guys! It’s time for another Pinterest Win / Pinterest Fail. This time, it was both!
So a while ago, I found a pin that lead to a post about the Lemon Loaf you can get from Starbucks? I’ve actually never tried it, as I don’t get Starbucks that often… However, I decided to give it a try.
This cake was so yummy. It was so lemony, but it wasn’t overwhelming. I would definitely make it again.
The only downside I had, well — 2 technically, was that I had to bake it for 70 minutes. A whole 15 minutes more than the recipe called for. The cake in the middle would not bake. I kept sticking the toothpick in and it just wouldn’t come out clean! Needless to say, the top and bottom of my cake were a very dark brown color, almost burned in a few spots. However, the rest of the cake was amazing!
To remedy that, I would lower the temperature next time, and still cook it for the 70 minutes. That way, hopefully, it won’t brown too fast.
Anyway, better get to this recipe. Take a look at the pics. Oh, I should almost mention that I am absolutely terrible at frosting! So don’t worry about the frosting. I know it looks terrible on the sides. It wasn’t creamy like it should have been. Look at the yellow, lemony cake instead. 😀
I only classify this as a Pinterest Fail because of the frosting! However, this is an amazing dessert!
1 1/2 cups flour
1 (3.4 oz) package, instant Lemon Pudding mix
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp butter, softened to room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp lemon extract
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
Zest of 1 lemon
3 Tbsp butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon extract
1. Preheat oven to 350*F (or 325* depending on oven — this is what I will use next time.)
2. Grab a 5×9 loaf pan and wax paper. Cut the wax paper to fit in the bottom of the pan. Grease the pan, lay the wax paper, then grease the paper.
3. Mix all dry ingredients (minus the sugar), in a separate bowl and set aside.
4. In a mixer (or hand-held), mix all the wet ingredients, plus the sugar. Don’t add the lemon zest just yet. This will look really runny and that’s ok.
5. Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into the lemony mixture. Mix until evenly combined.
6. Add the lemon zest and mix again.
7. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 55 mins. (Unless you’re me and it’s 70 mins.)
8. At 55 mins, take a toothpick and insert into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, you’re good to go. If not, continue baking at 5 min intervals, and keep checking.
9. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before inverting and transferring to a cooling rack.
10. While the cake cools completely, mix all the wet ingredients until smooth. Gradually add in powdered sugar. Mix until creamy.
11. Smooth frosting onto the top of the cake. Put cake in the fridge until frosting is set.
Enjoy this delicious lemony goodness!
If you make it, let me know what you think!
You can find the original here, if you are so inclined. Maybe you could tell me where I went wrong with the frosting?!
- February 7, 2016
- 10 Comment