Stand-alone vs. Series
I read an article the other day about reading stand-alone or reading series all the time.
I’m here to talk about the pros and cons of both. Give you guys a little insight into my opinion of it. 🙂
Stand-alone vs Series
- Various authors — You’re never stuck with the same author.
- No wait — You don’t have to wait for the author to come out with another book in the series
- Different characters — If you don’t like a certain character, you don’t have to keep reading about them.
- Satisfied feeling with no cliffhanger
- Too many authors — If you’re anything like me, you have hundreds of authors you want to get to.
- Too many choices for books — I love romance, but there are dozens of other categories out there for books.
- Cliffhangers — You’re left hanging and wondering what is going to happen?!
- Love having collections — I love collecting books. From the same series and the same author.
- One big long story — An awesome benefit to reading series is that the story doesn’t end for several books.
- Same characters — these ones can tend to be more developed because they are in the books for a longer period of time.
- Long wait — sometimes it takes the authors a year to write the new book in the series. The wait is definitely a long one between books. Unless you’ve started the series after the author is done writing.
- An addendum. Most series have to read in order as well.
- Same author — Once you start a series, you’re probably going to want to finish it. Therefore, you’re going to read the same author over and over until the series is finished. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love reading the same author! But sometimes you just need the diversity.
Ahh! From the looks of it, it’s tied. My pro/con list failed! Shucks.
Anyway, so I personally, love stand-alones. Mostly because I don’t have to wait for the newest book to come out. I can also switch between authors and read as little or as much as I’d like from one person. But I do love a good series. Oooh, the endless debate! I cannot figure out my answer! That was the whole purpose of this post. Well, maybe the purpose is just for comical reasons, now. Hmm..
Let me know what you think in the comments below.
Where do you stand? Which is better: Series or Stand-alones?
- January 4, 2016
- 8 Comment